Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Like a Sailor

I swear. Not even like a sailor, but like a conscripted privateer for the Queen of England. I'm only mentioning this, because in the near future this blog might be RIFE with swearing due to increased pain.

If you have virgin ears and are saving those cherries until you get married or something, this is not the place to be.

Mostly, I'm isolated in my own little world anyway, so it doesn't matter. It's me and my dad, who is in his late 70s. I try to hold my tongue for him. I used to live in a house where I wasn't allowed to say "that sucks," because my mom didn't like the word. Now, if I get angry enough, I'll be shouting a rowdy "motherfucker" at the top of my lungs.

For all you people out there who feel oh so offended if a person within a one mile radius of you mutters the word 'fuck'....

Why?

I use to convey annoyance, pain, anger, excitement, surprise, and dismay. It's an emphasis. And these words have been in the English language forever. Doesn't look like they're going away.

I fully believe there is a time and a place.

If someone annoys me while I'm with them, I'm not going to swear at them and call them a bitch.

I'm not going to ask my waiter what took him all fucking day to bring me Olive Garden breadsticks, but I might say to my friends at the table... man, these breadsticks are fucking delicious.

I'm not going to swear in front of a kid.

You might take the above as, "oh, so you know it is wrong then."

Here is the thing about swearing in front of a kid. I, as an adult of sound mind and unhealthy body, can make the distinction of what situations are appropriate, how to use it as emphasis and not to crush someone's special snowflake soul.

A kid doesn't have that capability yet. I know it isn't a good idea to be in a conversation with an authority figure and use that language. But a kid can't reason that out and has less impulse control even if he does. So, they very well could go into class, get annoyed with a teacher at the amount of homework and say, "are you fucking kidding me? This shit blows!"

It's the same reason you don't toss a set of car keys to a 10 year old. Could they reach the pedals? Maybe. But they just aren't ready yet.

"Wanna play real live Mario Cart?!"


Does it come off as a bit disrespectful? Yeah, probably.

Here is the question you need to ask yourself.

Is the person trying to disrespect you?

If so, by all means, be offended.

If not, then why is your skin so thin that words in a sentence from a person who isn't actively trying to disrespect you, and might not be talking about anything to do with you, offend your delicate sensibilities?

Toughen up, buttercup.









No comments:

Post a Comment