Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Not Dead Redemption

I talk a lot about people being a whole host of negative things. This is generally because a) They are, and b) Anger tends to motivate me more to spew words onto a page. I feel like I should maybe examine this, but I do believe that there can be humor in vitriol. I try and make that attempt, and I'm not sure that I always succeed. 

At any rate, while sometimes being part of humanity feels a bit soul-crushing, there are moments where I feel hope for the future. 

A 15 year old won an award in a science competition. This by itself is rather bland. You figure that most high schools have science fairs. But, no - he won the award, because he developed a test which detects pancreatic cancer in its early stages. And is better and cheaper than any test currently made by the scientific community. 

The extra cookie. You earned it.

I really, really hope some 15 year old girls are throwing themselves at him in the name of scientific discovery. 15 year old girls, you should do that. 

I think back to what I was doing at 15 and am staggered by the sheer amount of awesome in this story. 

Humanity, my faith in you has been redeemed. I can't promise that this will last longer than the time it takes to write this, so enjoy it.




No comments:

Post a Comment